November 9, 2023

Voting for the Right to Kill

Reading about Tuesday’s elections, I can only conclude that most Americans value ending life more than celebrating it. Without a doubt, the abortion issue drove people to the polls this week; and they voted for the right to kill.


Ben Johnson summarized the election results in an article for The Washington Stand:

The pro-life cause suffered major setbacks in the 2023 off-year election, as voters in Ohio adopted a vaguely-worded constitutional amendment creating a “right” to abortion until birth and other “reproductive decisions.” Ohioans also legalized recreational marijuana, while other national bellwether states defeated a rising pro-life candidate for governor of Kentucky, elected a pro-abortion Supreme Court justice in Pennsylvania, and handed full control of Virginia’s state legislature to Democrats.


As secularism becomes more advanced, the results of sin become more pronounced. That’s because sin always produces death. Scripture is clear, “The wages of sin is death” (Romans 6:23). Satan deceived Eve into believing that sin doesn’t kill. As a result, he successfully brought death into the world. You cannot separate sin and death.


That’s why cultures that indulge in sinful behavior seem to value the right to end life. Just look at what’s happening in Canada. Last year, medically assisted deaths constituted 4.1 percent of all deaths in Canada; a 30 percent increase over the previous year. If we don’t value life in the womb, then why would we value it outside the womb?


Those who support abortion would never vote for murder. So, why don’t they see abortion rights as the right to kill? Deception. They were deceived into thinking their vote was protecting a woman’s right to reproductive health. Abortion is seen as just another means of family planning—that’s deception!


In many cases, liberal candidates also outspent their opponents nearly two-to-one. Let that sink in. The resolve to fund the right to kill is far greater than the resolve to protect and celebrate life. Why is that? The only answer I can come up with is apathy. American Christianity keeps adjusting to each downward trend, much like the frog in the kettle.


I’ll just remind you that apathy aids deception:

In Mein Kampf, Hitler’s autobiography, he wrote, “The great masses of the people will more easily fall victim to a big lie than a small one.” The book was widely read by the German people at the time. The masses believed him anyway. Or at the very most, they ignored him. It is a fact that fewer than 10 percent of Germany’s population of 79.7 million people actively worked or campaigned to bring about Hitler’s change. Even at the height of its power in 1945, the Nazi political party boasted only 8.5 million members. So the remaining 90 percent of Germans—teachers and doctors and ministers and farmers—did…what? Stood by? Watched? Essentially, yes. Mothers and fathers held their voices, covered their eyes, and closed their ears. The vast majority of an educated population accepted their salaries and avoided the uncomfortable truth that lingered over them like a serpent waiting to strike. And when the Nazis came for their children, it was too late.” [How Do You Kill 11 Million People? Andy Andrews]


As believers, we know the answer. Sin and death are only defeated by the blood-stained cross, empty tomb, and occupied throne of Jesus Christ. But all too often, we sit comfortably in our own salvation and become apathetic to the masses living in deception. I challenge you to check your resolve. Do you value the right to life more than the world values the right to take it?